Divorce is already difficult enough, but determining custody can make the entire process far more stressful. Once the judge issues their decision on child custody, it is very difficult to change it. This is why you should meet with an experienced lawyer as soon as possible.
Here, we’ll explain how you can best prepare for your initial appointment with an experienced child custody lawyer in White Plains, New York.
Bring Documents for Your Attorney to Review
If you are planning on meeting with an attorney to discuss child custody matters, it is important to do your research in advance. This will ensure that the meeting is productive and that you are able to get the most out of the consultation.
To start, you should gather any relevant documents that pertain to your case. This might include the following:
- Court orders
- Parenting plans
- Financial records
- Copies of any pending motions or hearings
- Any other documentation that would be helpful to the lawyer.
At the same time, prepare a written statement explaining the background of your divorce and the goals you wish to achieve with regard to child custody.
Questions to Ask Your Child Custody Lawyer
When you meet with your child custody lawyer, you’ll only have an hour, at the most, to discuss your case. Thus, you should have a list of important questions to ask your attorney. These questions will help you evaluate whether the lawyer is a good fit for your case.
Some of the things you should ask are:
- The custody attorney’s experience handling child custody cases in New York
- What is their success rate?
- What are the best strategies for winning custody?
- Don’t forget to ask about their fees and billing process
- Ask if they can dedicate the time to your case.
You must remember that the lawyer you hire will be involved in your family in an intimate way. Nothing is more important than building trust with your child custody lawyer.
Organize Important Information
When you are getting ready to meet with your attorney, it is important to have all of the important information about your case gathered and organized before the meeting. This will help the lawyer get an overview of the situation without wasting valuable time.
Here are some things to keep in mind as you prepare:
- Write down the facts of your case and bring relevant documentation.
- Be prepared to discuss your finances.
- Have an idea of what kind of custody arrangement you would like to see in place.
- Think about what kind of child support arrangement would be fair.
Questions Your Custody Attorney May Ask
Your White Plains child custody lawyer may ask you a variety of questions during your initial consultation. You need to prepare yourself for these questions. Do not take any of these questions personally. For your attorney to get you the custody arrangement you want, they need all the facts.
Here are some of the questions your attorney may ask during your initial consultation. Answer them as honestly and as completely as you can.
- What are the circumstances surrounding the breakup of your marriage or relationship?
- How long have you been separated from your child’s other parent?
- Why do you want primary custody of your child?
- What is your child’s current living situation?
- How does your child feel about the divorce or separation?
- What is your relationship with your child’s other parent?
- Have there been any incidents of domestic violence or abuse in your family?
- What is each parent’s financial situation?
- What are each parent’s work schedules like?
- Does either parent have any physical or mental health issues that could impact their ability to care for a child?
Contact Our Experienced White Plains Law Firm!
Our child custody lawyers at the Douglas Family Law Group are experienced and passionate about helping clients. We understand the law and what courts consider in custody decisions. You can rely on us for the best representation in your case.
To schedule your initial consultation, simply call our office at 914-615-9058.